Wednesday, September 26

The Monument to Love


AGRA, India - The Taj Mahal doesn't look real. Not from the couple hundred yards away where you walk through an archway and first glimpse the monument.

The Taj is dreamlike and seems to quiver in the early morning mist as if it's a sophisticated hologram or a mirage. I felt like I could reach out and swipe my hand right through it, positive my mind had created the incredible building in front of me.

It's that ethereal. I didn't believe the image was solid until I laid my hand on the cool marble.

This is quite possibly the one time in my life thus far that something has truly lived up to it's awesome expectations. I can't seem to find the words to describe it without gushing, and I get stuck on cliches, like breathtaking and awestruck. Each time I looked up at the Taj I was impressed all over again.



I had big plans for the Taj Mahal. I timed my entire visit in India around the full moon so I could view the monument at night. However, the Taj wasn't open for the full moon as usual because it was Ramadan - a little fact my guide book failed to mention. I was also going to spend the entire day at the Taj, watching how the changing light of day changed the color of the monument. But it was overcast and raining and the light stayed the same the entire day.

Still, my feet were slow in leaving. I kept stopping to look over my shoulder for one last gaze. I was enchanted.


(My photos don't do it justice. Please use google images and see some proper photos of the place)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to visit this. I'm thrilled you made a point to go. :)

Gina